Common Core alignment for vocabulary word lists include two key phrases: "Precise Meaning" and "Context."
CCSS Alignment Strand Numbers for Specific Grades:
Precise Meaning: "CCSS.ELA-Literacy." precedes these numbers: 2.4e, 3.4d, 4.4c, 5.4c, 6.4c, 7.4c, 8.4c, 9-10.4c, 11-12.4c
Context: "CCSS.ELA-Literacy." precedes these numbers: 2.4a, 3.4a, 4.4a, 5.4a, 6.4a, 7.4a, 8.4a, 9-10.4a, 11-12.4a
*** To see word lists categorized into "Beginner" and "Intermediate levels," join the "Premium Membership" for $5.00 a year.
Link to Premium Subscription Membership
Thanksgiving Vocabulary Word List (255)
|A)||Abundance, America, Anxiety, Appetite, Apple cider, Apple pie, Appreciation, Aroma, Arrangement, Assemble, Autumn, Awe|
|B)||Baking, Belonging, Beloved, Berries, Blessings, Bouquet, Bread, Brood|
|C)||Candles, Care, Carve, Casserole, Cater, Celebrate, Celebration, Ceremony, Cherry pie, Chocolate, Church, Cider, Clan, Cloves, Collective, Colonist, Colony, Comfort, Community, Companionship, Conversation, Cook, Cooperative, Corn, Corn meal, Corn stalk, Cornbread, Cornucopia, Cranberries, Crops, Crowds|
|D)||Decorations, Deep-seated, Delicacy, Delicious, Delight, Dinner, Dish, Dress up, Dressing, Duck|
|E)||Eating, Efforts, Egg bread, Embrace, Entertain, Expectations|
|F)||Fall, Familial, Familiar, Family, Famished, Favorite, Feast, Feeding, Festive, Fireplace, Fireside, Float, Flowers, Food, Freedom, Fried turkey, Friends, Friendship, Full|
|G)||Gather, Gathering, Generations, Giblets, Giving, Gizzard, Gobble, God, Goose, Gooseberry pie, Gourd, Gourmet, Gratitude, Gravy, Green beans, Groceries, Groups, Guests|
|H)||Ham, Harvest, Hearth, Heartland, Helping, Heritage, Holding hands, Holiday, Home, Homecoming, Homeward, Hope, Horn of plenty, Hospitality, Host, Hostess, Hot chocolate, Hugs, Hymns|
|I)||Ice cream, Immigrate, Indian corn, Indians, Indigenous, Invite|
|J)||Jam, Jellies, Journey cake, Joy, Joyful|
|K)||Kale, Kernels, Kisses, Kitchen|
|L)||Laughter, Legal federal holiday, Libation, Love|
|M)||Maize, Mashed potatoes, Massachusetts, Mayflower, Meleagris gallopavo (scientific name), Memories, Mince meat pie, Minister, Mixture, Mood|
|N)||Native American, Network, New World, November, Nutcrackers, Nutmeg, Nuts|
|O)||Observances, Occasion, Onions|
|P)||Pals, Parade, Peace, Picture perfect, Pies, Pilgrims, Plantation, Plentiful, Plum pudding, Plum sauce, Plymouth Colony, Plymouth Rock, Poult (baby turkey), Prayer, Pride, Priest, Priorities, Pumpkin pie, Puritans|
|R)||Rabbi, Reflections, Refuge, Rejoice, Relationship, Relatives, Relaxation, Religion, Religious, Relish, Reunions, Ritual, Roast, Roast turkey, Rolls, Roots, Rutabaga|
|S)||Sacred, Sage, Satiated, Sauce, Seasonings, Settlers, Sharing, Sigh, Spices, Squanto, Squash, Stress, Stuffing, Succotash, Sustenance, Sweet potato, Symbol, Synagogue|
|T)||Table setting, Thanks, Thanksgiving, Thursday, Tom turkey, Tradition(s), Travel, Treaty, Trimmings, Trips, Turnips|
|U)||Understanding, Unify, Unique, Universal|
|V)||Vacation, Vanilla, Vegetable, Vegetarian, Venison, Viewpoint, Vision|
|W)||Warmth, Wassail, Wattle, Welcome, Wild turkeys, William Bradford, Winter, Worship, Worshipers|
|Y)||Yams, Yells, Yorkshire pudding|
|Get a Print Out of this Word List
|Thanksgiving Lesson Plans, Activities, Discussion Questions and ideas:
1. Draw or find pictures of items suggestive of Thanksgiving: ex: a cornucopia, a pilgrim hat, a turkey etc.
2. Make, buy or cook some food that would be unusual or typical of the holiday
3. Name games you like to play with groups of people
4. Create a list of safety procedures during the holidays, perhaps for travel
5. What other animals that might live where turkeys are found? What do they eat?
6. Find/bring into class something a pilgrim or a Native American might have needed to celebrate
7. Discover as many words for the holiday as possible that include the letters T-H-A-N-K-S-G-I-V-I-N-G, pilgrim, grateful, appreciation etc.
8. Create an imaginative story you can share: make one up, choose one from a book/newspaper etc.
9. Hold an art contest and pick winners from different categories; ex: foods, pilgrim tools, animals etc.
10. Have a contest to name items on a Thanksgiving table. Compare one list to others.
11. List ways family/friends could travel to reach a destination
12. Name at least five reasons why Americans should be grateful
www.myvocabulary.com offers more than 645 word lists. To see more Thanksgiving, Religion and Holiday word lists, please go to the home page for word games, interactive worksheets, word puzzles and themed content that align with Common Core Standards and Latin root words. 2500 pages of free content are available only online without ads, registration or fees.